The ADA is supporting new legislation to give small businesses more flexibility with the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program.
In April 30 letters to the House and Senate, ADA President Daniel J. Klemmedson, D.D.S., M.D., and Executive Director Kathleen T. O’Loughlin, D.M.D., thanked lawmakers for introducing HR 2582, the PPP Revenue Adjustment Calculation to Increase Capital Accessibility Long-term Act, and S 1200, the Fair PPP Accounting Act.
Both bills would adjust the eligibility calculation for second draw Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP, loans to 90 consecutive days, rather than a calendar quarter.
“The ADA recommended that dentists close their offices during the spring of 2020 for all but urgent and emergency procedures. These closures did not occur during a fixed calendar quarter, but rather during the months of March, April and May,” wrote Drs. Klemmedson and O’Loughlin, noting that the majority of dental practices are small businesses.
“After dental offices reopened, the Paycheck Protection Program has helped dentists to retain and rehire employees and continue to serve the oral health needs of their patients,” the letter said. “However, under current rules of the second draw PPP loans, these businesses cannot use the months of March, April, and May to reflect the 25% decline in revenue.”
The ADA is also supporting S 1232, the PPP Flexibility for Farmers, Ranchers and the Self-Employed Act, which would allow sole proprietorships to use gross rather than net income when applying for PPP loans. The legislation would also adjust the eligibility calculation to 90 consecutive days, rather than a calendar quarter.
“The majority of dental practices are small businesses, including many sole proprietorships,” wrote Drs. Klemmedson and O’Loughlin in an April 29 letter to the Senate.
With the PPP Flexibility for Farmers, Ranchers, and the Self-Employed Act, sole proprietors who had previously applied for PPP using net income would be able to recalculate and receive an increased benefit.
Follow all of the ADA’s advocacy efforts at ADA.org/Advocacy.
Aspen Dental has officially opened its doors in Wake Forest, North Carolina, with the opening of a brand-new office, bringing a renowned dentist to the community. This is the 24th Aspen Dental practice in North Carolina, as Aspen Dental continues to break down barriers and bring comprehensive, affordable care to patients across the country.
Located at 12612 Capital Blvd, the office is led by Dr. Mohammad Spouh, who received his DDS degree from Indiana University. Dr. Spouh and his team will provide a full range of dental services ranging from preventive care and general dentistry to dentures and restoration. The opening of this new practice will also create local jobs in the Wake Forest community and increase access to care in the state of North Carolina.
Independently-owned and operated, Aspen Dental offices offer patient-friendly programs and services that make it easier for patients to get the dental care they need, including:
- Personalized treatment and friendly service. Each patient receives a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan designed by the dentist, with long-term oral and overall health in mind. Available services may include hygiene, treatment of periodontal (gum) disease, clear aligners, implants, extractions, fillings, oral surgery, whitening, and crown and bridge work.
- Safe and clean care environments. We’ve always been committed to the highest safety standards, and in a world where things are changing fast, we have implemented heightened cleaning, hygiene and safety standards, symptom screening for appointments, social distancing at our offices, and now offer virtual visits for our patients. You can learn more about our health and safety protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic through our Smile Wide, Smile Safe Promise.
- Affordable dental care. Aspen Dental practices are committed to keeping prices low so that patients can get the care they need. The practice works with all insurance providers and handles the paperwork, saving patients time and hassle, and offers free new-patient exams and X-rays for patients without dental insurance. And since no one likes an unexpected bill, the practice offers a clear, detailed estimate on the cost of treatment to give patients peace of mind.
- On-site denture labs and Denture Money Back Guarantee. Every Aspen Dental practice is equipped with an on-site denture laboratory, which helps facilitate quick turnaround for denture repairs, relines or adjustments. Patients choose Aspen Dental for the seven styles of full and partial dentures and have the comfort of knowing that the supportive dentists and staff will go above and beyond to ensure proper fit and comfort of their custom-crafted dentures.
- Convenient hours and location. The office will be open extended hours, including evenings and select Saturdays, so that patients can see the dentist at a time that works best for their schedule. Walk-in and emergency patients are welcome.
Office hours will be Monday through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. To make a dental appointment, patients can go to www.aspendental.com and click on Schedule a New Patient Appointment; or call (919) 435-3313 or 800-ASPEN DENTAL (800-277-3633).
Hunter Street Partners, a Minneapolis-based alternative investment management firm, has partnered with Healy Capital Partners to acquire Kirkpatrick Dental Group, a growing dentistry platform with multiple practices in Tennessee and Georgia. Hunter Street and Healy Capital Partners will work closely with the company’s management team to evaluate opportunities to build the platform across the Southeast region.
Founded in 2007 by Dr. Jason Kirkpatrick, the Kirkpatrick Dental Group is a dental support organization (“DSO”) platform that currently owns and operates eight locations. Dental practices that are a part of the company benefit from cheaper cost of equipment from suppliers as well as centralized HR recruiting and financial reporting. The dental group offers a range of services, including fillings, cleanings, restorative implants, surgeries, and cosmetic services such as teeth whitening.
“Kirkpatrick Dental Group is poised for long-term growth, benefiting from rising demand for cosmetic dentistry, increasing popularity of DSOs, and technological advances in healthcare operations,” said Andrew Platt, Partner at Hunter Street. “With over 8,000 dentists in Tennessee and Georgia, the company has significant expansion prospects in the region.”
“We’re thrilled to partner with the Hunter Street team and pursue a growth strategy for Kirkpatrick Dental Group that encompasses acquisitions, economies of scale, and meeting growth in patient demand,” said Michael Healy, CEO of Healy Capital Partners. “By developing market leading capabilities in dental practice management and insurance compliance, the platform will draw interest from a range of independent dentistry practices.”
Western Dental & Orthodontics, one of the nation’s leaders in accessible, affordable oral healthcare and the leading orthodontics provider in the country, today announced the opening of its newest office in Lincoln Heights, a suburb of northeast Los Angeles.
Located in a new office and retail building at 3303 N. Broadway, the site is across the street from Gates Street Elementary and adjacent to Abraham Lincoln High School, just east of Interstate 5.
“We are proud to expand access to even more residents throughout the greater Los Angeles area with this new office,” said Dr. John Luther, chief dental officer for Western Dental. “We will provide a full complement of dental services all under one roof, as we do in all 233 offices throughout California.”
The Lincoln Heights office is comprised of 12 treatment rooms, including four dedicated to root canal treatments and pediatric dentistry. The office provides comprehensive dental services, including general dentistry, orthodontics, oral surgery, dental implants, pediatric dentistry and oral hygiene services, creating a “dental home” for patients.
“It is fitting that our newest office is in the oldest neighborhood in Los Angeles, where our organization’s roots in the community date back 118 years,” said Dr. Elahe Haghighi Zolmajd, managing dentist of the Lincoln Heights office. “We welcome patients and their families to our new office, where it is our goal to provide safe, high-quality, affordable oral health care in a comfortable setting with the latest technology.”
Capitol Dental Care, one of Oregon’s dental care organizations with a network of more than 700 dental providers across 18 counties, is launching an innovative technology solution to provide quality dental care to Medicaid enrollees in Oregon under the age of 14, expectant mothers, adults older than 65 years old, and members who live more than 45 miles from a Capitol provider.
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in an enormous disruption to the delivery of dental services that have served as the safety net for those who cannot access quality care through other means. For children on Medicaid who have depended on school-based oral health services to receive preventive dental care, distance learning has created a greater challenge for preventive care.
In order to address these and other dental care challenges, Capitol Dental Care is expanding their teledentistry visits to include at-home fluoride varnish application to the underserved communities in Oregon.